Friday, April 11, 2008

Returning to the Land of Sentience

Sentience - you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.  And when it goes, you can hear the agonized screaming as it's dragged away.  Or in my case, the sharp round of cursing after a lovely blow to the head. Followed by stars in front of the eyes - which were quite pretty, by the way - and a couple weeks of bed rest while the body tries to regain an ability to think at normal speeds and walk without dizziness.

As with many things recently, this gives an excellent opportunity to reflect on the good things in my life.  Like thought.  I like thought.  I like having thoughts.  I like even more being able to create them without losing them half-way through so that they turn into something such as: "I need to go to the kitchen...to...wow, I didn't know that was red.  When did I get that?  Hmmm.  I'm tired.  Do I have any chocolate?"

So here is my public service announcement for today.

 Thoughts are our friends.  Research their needs.  Treat them with kindness and love. Care for their habitats and fight brain deforestation. If we're lucky, and vigilant, maybe we will still have thoughts remaining when our grandchildren have arrived on this planet. If all else fails, I believe there may be room for them to be stored in the cage for the dodos.

No comments: